Building Control Surveyor (Temporary 14 months)
South Vale Building Control are a shared service between South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils, and we have an exciting opportunity for a temporary building control professional to join our dedicated building control team.
This is a career grade role that provides an opportunity to develop your skills and professional development within Building Control and so we are looking for a Surveyor who is enthusiastic, dedicated and passionate about creating safe built environments.
You’ll be responsible for undertaking a full range of duties carried out by the building control team which include dealing with a range of domestic type building control applications, site inspections and technical queries. You’ll also work as part of the team to provide advice and guidance to our customers to help deliver excellent customer service and build good working relationships with our agents, architects and builders.
Building Control Surveyor Responsibilities:
- Dealing with building notices, full plans, regularisations and reversion type building control applications
• Providing professional advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing on behalf of the Council in respect of building control and related issues, including providing pre-application advice
• Carrying out plan appraisal of full plans applications and site inspections relating to building notices, full plans, regularisations and revision applications covering a range of domestic building works including new dwellings, extensions, conversions, material alterations and change of use
• Enforcing the building regulations and carrying out associated duties as and when required
• Recording site inspections in line with Building Control Performance Standards
Building Control Surveyor Requirements:
- Excellent IT skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and email
• Strong report and professional letter writing skills, demonstrating the ability to manage the majority of your case load independently
• Ability to demonstrate a diplomatic approach in difficult situations and be able to give clear, accurate advice on procedure
• Very good oral and written communication skills
• Ability to interpret scale drawings and Ordnance Survey maps
• Investigative, methodical and accurate approach to work
• Ability to organise and prioritise a high and constantly changing caseload
• Ability to make difficult assessments and decisions independently
• Ability to take individual responsibility for caseload to set own daily targets and work to agreed standards and performance targets
• Ability to work as a part of a team and support team members
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equality
Your essential qualifications
- HND/HNC or equivalent level of experience or a degree in a related discipline, or relevant qualification
• Have a good level of experience, at least 3 years of working in a local authority building control department or equivalent experience in a private sector role to apply at Grade 6 or minimum of 2 years’ experience to apply at Grade 5
- Student or Associate membership of the RICS, CABE or CIOB or in the process of working towards this
- Hold a full and current driving licence and access to a vehicle insured for business use
About the councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Salary: £31,471 to £37,185 per year, Grade 5 / £37,185 to £42,386 per year, Grade 6
Duration of role: Temporary, 14 months
Hours per week: 37 hours - part time hours would be considered (minimum of 3 days per week)
Location: Milton Park, Didcot
Closing Date: TBC
The benefits we offer:
- 24 days annual leave per annum rising to 29 days after 5 years, plus bank holidays and time off between Christmas and New Year
- Salary pay awards – we review salaries each April
- A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
- No car park costs as there’s ample free parking available
- The opportunity to purchase a bike through the tax efficient Cyclescheme
- A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
- Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more)
- We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Under Government guidelines, many of our employees are being asked to undertake their roles from home. This will be discussed in more detail during this roles interview process where required.
If you would like to discuss this position or have any queries please contact Donna Worrell on 07801 203556 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org